Breakage

Breakage

miercuri, 14 ianuarie 2009

What did I learn all this time?

This is the time when I should make a revieu about the things I've learned this past months, and how they helped me in my true passion: coreography. Well I could write a novel about it, about all the techniques from te contemporary dance, and how to create the scenography of a performance, but I would lie if I would say that the things I know now changed my perception in any way. Eventhough I think that we didn't yet get a complete history of „where thoes dance begin” and how it evolved from it's classical techniques that King Louis the IV promoted due to his early atraction to dance in his colaboration with the great composer and dancer Jean-Baptiste Lully (that I learned earlyer in highschool, but not many of my colegues are aware of), eventhough we don't have a base for dance, this doesn't change my expectations concerning the themes and the stile I adopt for myself.
I learned this months a way to examine dance like a philosophy, ok like a ritual like the practice of Zen, and how to create the perfect ambience, or the better way to send the subject to the public.
In our days contemporary dance is considered more like a meaningful experiment with the dancer, and not with the public. Less coreographers think that dance is a performance that takes the atention of the spectator, and creates the perfect images just with the human-body that should be the principal instrument for a creator, and especially for a coreographer. I am not saying that the classes of musical techniques didn't emprove the way I treat music in my coreographys, or that the classes of Theatrical History didn't light my mind about the universe and different perceptions of artists that literraly wriote the hystory in visual arts, I am just saying that dance is not treated as a visual art as much as it should be. In this art you expect to see some techniqe, but until now we worked more with our imagination and less with our body. We tried to diversify the movement as much as possible and in the same time we try to find new forms in space, although we should keep in mind that everything we think we discover, has already been used. The only thing we can do is adapt it to our vision.
Another thing that I learned this past months was that every one has it's oun personality, so as many coreographers there are, as many interpretations you get. If I want to dance about happynes my image woud be different than the image of my colegues regarding happynes. The thing we all try to do is get the public to react in one way or the other to the thigs we are presenting without words or any tipical moves like panhomim. Our purpose is to comunicate by movement, but that shouldn't mean that the body is an experiment for the dancer, it is a experiment for the public.
Not many coreographers of contemporary dance are recognized in the whole world, and they have great succes becouse they know what dance really is. Dance is a spectacle for the eyes and the mind, it shows images that you understand that are transmited to you by the artists in stage without openning their mouths, but with theyr years of practice and perfection. Theater is for words, and coreography is for movement, just like music is for sound, and painting is for image. Combining these elements we can have a great performance, but studiyng them separately is different for every art.

Niciun comentariu: